Friday, December 2, 2011

New Pop Screen!

When Blue mics came out with the Blue Spark recently, I jumped on the chance to own a quality mic with the Blue name on it for such an economical price. It has turned out to be an excellent purchase and it looks so cool! I use it for vocals, guitar and piano primarily and it has captured excellent detail in every application. In addition to the superior quality microphones, one thing that Blue excels at is their design and marketing. The extra thought and creativity of their design and packaging are inspiring in this day when utility and economy is typically the goal.

When tracking vocals for 33Miles the most popular mic in Nashville studios tended to be either the Blue Kiwi or the Blue Bottle with the interchangeable capsule which are $$2,000-$6,000 microphones. The Spark uses the same technology from the same manufacturer (obviously), in a smaller, simpler package for $250.

One element of the Spark's creative design is that it comes with this cute little pop screen that showcases the Blue logo. Looks so cool and I thought I was getting a pop-screen with the mic. While it helps attenuate and neutralize some pops, a lot still make through. (Maybe I'm an extra emphatic singer...or that's why people back away from me when I'm telling a story...)

Photobucket

Anyway, I needed a better pop-screen and found Blue's, "The Pop" which I'm thrilled about. With a price tag of $30 on Amazon and it matches the quality and design of my mic, I had to have it. It looked too cool to not share with you!

Photobucket

Let the singing begin! (The soundtrack to the videos on my blog were all recorded with this mic if you want to hear some reference! (Jesus' Power over Death, Jesus' Power over Nature, Jesus' Power over Demons).

I'm going to go filter out some pops!

No comments:

Post a Comment