Sunday, August 19, 2012

Gabby in Colorado

I flew into Midway airport yesterday morning and a good friend picked me up from the airport to return me to my quiet home in southern Michigan. I realized it had been over two years since I boarded a plane last. As I stood in line clutching my driver's license and thinking through the contents of my bag, paranoid that I'd forgotten to leave behind any renegade bullets that may have sunk into the recesses of my backpack it dawned on me how I change and adapt to my surroundings. Once upon a time I racked up the frequent flier miles and had air port concourses and shuttle bus routes memorized. Not any more. Now I'm the guy shrieking when the little puffs of air fluff up my hair in the full body scanners. What's happening to me? Traveling is good for everybody. (Blanket statement I know...) I really believe that. I still maintain that change for the sake of change itself is very good for us humans who's brains are patterned to program muscle memory and become complacent in our routines. Traveling reminds me of lots of things: who I am now, where I've come from, where I'm going, that there is a big huge world out there that doesn't revolve around me, that there is a perspective other than mine that I need to acknowledge. This was the first big trip with a family of four. Not sure what I think of traveling with a small family the age of ours. The infant is fine. Gabby's the tough one. She's so engrained in her little patterns and routines that altering her lunch schedule and menu by one small cracker half an hour late throws off her entire day. Add that to the stress of being strapped into a car seat for 20 hours makes for a grumpy little kid. I can't say that I blame her, I was her age once too and remember hating my car seat. Thankfully I got bigger. Much bigger. When she adjusted to her new routine of no routine she became her happy, bossy high-energy self again. Between concerts we drove through some of my favorite parts of the Colorado mountains. These are the places that inspired the songs of "Songs from Brookside." I look forward to showing you the videos I took of my new family enjoying these incredibly beautiful places. I did grab some still images that I thought I thought were adorable.

  Photobucket

Photobucket

 We spent several days at Jenna's parents house in Colorado Springs. My horse trailer has sat as a reminder of a past life, slowly rusting in their field. I finally sold it today. My Proverbs 31 wife acted the part of a barter-saavy Mike Wolf and negotiated the sale to a cowboy from Omaha. My tribute to my horse trailer will come soon. :) If you really follow my blog, the answer is yes, everything in my life holds significance. If it doesn't, I throw it away. I got these pics of our cute little someday-to-be-cowgirl
 peering through the slats in the side.

Photobucket

Photobucket

 Jenna and the kiddos stay in the home country for two weeks away from me to attend the wedding of one of Jenna's good friends. I'm going to be so productive I won't be able to miss them. That's the theory anyway. So far I'm failing.

No comments:

Post a Comment